Am I a Good Instant Candidate for Orthodontics?
Are you unsure and insecure about the state of your smile? If so, your cosmetic dentist can improve the appearance of your smile and may recommend instant orthodontics as the answer. At All American Smile Dental Studios in Manhattan, Maurice Benjamin, DDS, offers instant orthodontics as one of many cosmetic dentistry treatments available. Is instant orthodontics right for you?
What Is Instant Orthodontics?
You may have heard the term “instant orthodontics” from your cosmetic dentist, but what does it mean? Instant orthodontics is actually a common term for porcelain veneers, one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry treatments on the market today. By placing thin porcelain veneer shells over a single tooth or a row of the patient’s natural teeth, porcelain veneers are able to make the teeth appear uniform and aligned and effectively treat a number of other aesthetic issuessuch as:
- Broken Teeth
- Gapped Teeth
- Crooked Teeth
- Stained or Discolored Teeth
“Instant orthodontics” got its nickname for its ability to correct an array of cosmetic dental problems practically overnight. But while instant orthodontics is an appealing procedure, it is not always the right procedure for everyone. How do you know if it’s right for you?
Am I a Good Candidate for Instant Orthodontics?
Patients who are good candidates for instant orthodontics usually have the following characteristics:
- Aesthetic Flaws: While the procedure is referred to as “instant orthodontics,” porcelain veneers cannot correct more serious orthodontic issues such as jaw alignment problems or a major overbite or underbite. If are dealing with one of these, traditional metal braces or clear aligner trays may be a better option to treat the issue.
- Healthy Teeth and Gums: Because your natural teeth serve as a base for porcelain veneers, it is necessary that your natural teeth are healthy and strong, and that any issues such as cavities or gum disease are properly taken care of before porcelain veneers are placed. If those issues are not addressed, tooth decay could develop behind the veneers and develop into larger problems down the road.
- Strong and Ample Tooth Enamel: The process of having porcelain veneers placed usually involves shaving a thin layer of enamel away from the front of your teeth in order to make room for the veneers. Because of this process, it is necessary that your teeth have a strong and healthy layer of enamel. Without this characteristic, there may not be any enamel left to bond veneers to once the initial layer has been removed.
- No Bad Habits: During your consultation, your cosmetic dentist will likely ask if you have any habits that could potentially interfere with the placement of porcelain veneers. Habits such as nail biting, ice or pen cap chewing, or nightly tooth grinding (bruxism) can all severely shorten the lifespan of porcelain veneers. If you frequently engage in any of these habits or similar habits, your dentist may recommend another type of treatment such as Invisalign® clear braces to correct your orthodontic issues.
Learn More about Instant Orthodontics Today
A skilled and experienced cosmetic dentist can examine your dental structure and your history, and determine whether instant orthodontics is the best treatment option for you. Contact Maurice Benjamin, DDS, at All American Smile Dental Studios to schedule an appointment and learn more about instant orthodontics and the porcelain veneer process today.
- 2014 - November
- 2014 - October
- 2014 - August
- 2014 - July
- 2014 - April
- 2014 - February
- 2014 - January
- 2011 - April
- 2011 - February
- 2011 - January
- Popular Tags
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Crooked Teeth
- Dental Implants
- Porcelain Veneers
- Restorative Dentistry
- Teeth Whitening
- Tooth Decay